Sunday, January 30, 2011

Off day, got some rest

Days until the relay: 132

After yesterday's run, we were all gung-ho and feeling good. Then we stretched out and rested for a little while... and completely failed when we tried to stand up. We kept trying to keep it loose and shake it out, to no avail. The knees were a tiny bit swollen, but that's to be expected. I kept them elevated and I'm sure the cold water in the shower helped.

Eventually we went out for dinner and the two block walk took about double the time as it normally would. It was snowing pretty hard by that point and I was glad we hadn't waited to run. We came hobbling back, watched Rambo 2, and went to bed at 10:30pm (Saturday night!!). I fell asleep within 30 seconds of my head hitting the pillow and wasn't conscious until 8:45am.

This morning was pretty good, minimal soreness. I would say my legs were probably at 90%. We walked around a lot, went to Ikea in Brooklyn and decided that a short run would keep the legs from atrophying without overdoing it. We ran about 1.25 miles and didn't time it because The Beast (read: Chewie) came with us and despite keeping up and showing lots of spatial intelligence about where his leash was and how to not get snagged around pedestrians' legs, he did feel the need to mark random street corners, slowing us down a bit. As for pace, we pushed it faster than yesterday. Sorry, no real numbers, but using my vast timing knowledge I would say it was probably closer to a 8:30 ballpark.

I think tomorrow will be a longer run for me because as long as my legs are ok with it, I have to really start getting used to it. I also now understand the humongous need for strong quads and hammies, because mine felt destroyed yesterday, so there will be a lot of stairs and wall sits in the future.

Sit-ups: 25
Push-ups: 15
Pull ups: 0 real ones, 5 lame attempts with my feet on the stool

"If you want to become the best runner you can be, start now. Don't spend the rest of your life wondering if you can do it."
Priscilla Welch